Saturday, January 5

Be courageous in 2013

~ Hello and 'Happy New Year!' ~

Sorry it's a little late.


I feel like I'm slowly waking from a deep slumber and starting to adjust my eyes to the light.

A brand new year all shiny and bright - phew - we made it....thank gawd.

Did you have a great Christmas, a lovely break from routine?  Any firm resolutions that don't include {a} I am going to start giving large sums of money away to a gym I'll never step foot in or {b} I must eat all the chocolate in the house before I can possibly start that diet - which will probably be next Monday of never! That's not the point really is it.

No - not this year.  I've decided I'm not one for the whole resolution thing any more...being the one that always has at least one of the above on her list.  

But there is one thing I would like to say I've achieved in this lovely new year when I'm sat here this time next year mulling things over.

'To be courageous'

To have the courage to do things I would normally shy away from...for the comfort of.  And that's a whole lot of stuff in my books.

Maybe it's settling down, maybe it's having kids - responsibilities - and wanting to play it safe...who knows?  Somewhere along the way I lost my ability to say 'oh just go for it - you'll never know!'

So in 2013 I'm going (to try) to be brave.  

Never turn down an opportunity (was my motto in my twenties) hold my own in a conversation - I can't keep blaming a baby brain for being a blithering idiot.  Not to stand on the edge of everything all the time, but plant my feet firmly in the middle...though if it means having an audience you can forget it.  I've come to learn over the years it doesn't suit me all that well.

So this is my (kind of) resolution - and one I feel attainable - even if it's going to take me a little while to adjust out of my comfort zone.  Just go for it!

Happy New Year...and hello 2013.  Unlucky is not an option.

32 comments:

  1. I like that resolution. It covers all sorts of areas I want to improve in 2013. Perhaps "Courage" should be my word for this year too ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good one, I haven't made any resolutions as such but I am going to try and comment on more blogs instead of just being a lurker, make more friends and get myself out there instead of being a bit of a loner..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent be brave... shake off all that conditioning but listen to the wisdom of your gut... no need to try as you say go for it and enjoy... it does get easier each time...
    This year I'm noticing beauty... Cx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy new year :) I hope 2013 is good to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nina, I've come to the same conclusion this year and I am the world's most rubbish new year's resolution keeper! There will never be an end to the chocolate in this house so maybe that's why my waistline is on the perpetual increase. ;)
    To have more courage is a brilliant aim and one I'd like to have. I always thought that you became braver with age but I've found the opposite is true because with experience of the possible (unwanted) outcome, it scares me from taking brave steps!
    Here's to a big brave 2013! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy new year. I am also a) I'll start the diet when I've eaten all the chocolate and Christmas goodies. Maybe not this time. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's a tough one ....it's easy to walk away from the things that scare us but to face them head on....maybe even sometimes overcoming them......that's truly admirable.......good luck for all that lies ahead in 2013.....x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Nina
    Its going to be my brave and courageous year too. I'm taking my almost 43 years of armour and covering myself so I don't fall or get hurt too much but I am going to try some new things too and see what happens...here's wishing you a very brave and kind year of 2013 xox Penelope

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds good, Happy New Year Nina! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely idea Nina ... wishing you a very courageous 2013:) ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. To me you are already courageous! Just by blogging you're beautiful pictures, but I know what you mean, maybe I should make that resolution to? XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Courageous is a very good word to choose for 2013. Wishing you a very Happy New Year, Nina!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous and inspiring post! Just the motiviation I needed so badly for the New Year. Thank you for this post so much. Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea. Happy New Year to you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. happy new year Nina, may it bring you the courage you need to face the things it brings you to.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Nina,
    I love this, I could do with a drop of courage too, natalie xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay, good for you Nina. I think that's what our 40's are for you know. For finally getting on with it and not giving a damn what anyone else thinks because we know if it's good for us and our lives. Have fun being brave.

    Lisa X

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a great resolution...I hope you don't mind if I steal it from you... I too need some courage this year...
    Bec x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like your resolution (if i can call it that!), it will bring more good than bad, I am sure! I think I have lots a lot of my confidence and self-assuredness from being at home full time. It will come back, I'm sure.

    I am also totally guilty of waiting to eat every last chocolate before my healthy eating plan starts. Hmm.

    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah! You have addressed my perpetual dilemma. I am always asking myself: Am I living to the maximum, or am I playing it safe? If I had only a year to live, would this be what I would chose? Tricky business figuring out the balance between risk, wisdom, and joy. I don't know if it IS quite solvable, but I think being aware of it at all is a step. Good luck to you in this new year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful! I too feel like being a bit courageous this year. I read something recently about setting intentions rather than resolutions and this sounds like a super intention. Nat x

    ReplyDelete
  22. happy new year, nina :) and this is great, god bless and good luck! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I haven't made any resolution either, but to put my self first sometimes don't know if it will happen but I will try.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Go on be brave....you know you can do it! One thing I've learnt over the past couple of years is I can be brave when I need to be. Happy Courageous 2013! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't normally do resolutions, too hard to keep! However, courage is a good guide line and something I should keep in my mind to spur me on! x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those sound like brilliant resolutions. Good luck I hope to hear lots of stories of courage in the coming year. Hopefully I can find some too! - Annie

    ReplyDelete
  27. happy new year Nina! we do know what we need really don't we. Courage is a good one. Good luck, Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy mew year to you, too!
    What a brilliant resolution! I think it's one we could all do with aiming for!!!
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like the idea of concentrating on just one word throughout the year, it can lead in many directions but is so much better than a list of resolutions that are never achieved.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great resolution Nina and so important. So easy to get stuck in our little ways, but so refreshing to bust out of them. Hope 2013 is a great year for you. x

    ReplyDelete
  31. That sounds a very good resolution! Maggie.

    ReplyDelete